In this regular blog series, Bob Hall, the co-founder of Greenlite Lighting Solutions, makes sure you aren’t left in the dark about the lighting sector. This month, he says: “Lighting that is ‘people- and pocket-friendly’ isn’t just the icing on the cake – it’s vital to boosting staff productivity, increasing sales and improving your bottom line!”
Over the last two months, I’ve shared my tips for getting a good-quality, well-designed lighting installation. While these are integral features, it’s also important to think about energy-efficiency and the people who use the lighting. Luckily, these can go hand in hand, and I have a few tricks up my sleeve!
1. Maximise daylight. It’s free, so why not? Workplaces with more daylight have also been found to benefit employees – reducing sick days and improving sleep patterns.
2. Control yourself. The most energy-efficient lighting is the one that’s not on – presence detectors can be used to automatically switch off lights in empty areas. Lighting controls can also be responsive to light levels throughout the day, maximising natural light and cutting costs.
3. Consider your customers… Retail lighting obviously needs to flatter merchandise, but it also needs to welcome clientele. Think about things like colour temperature and brightness. Being blinded is not likely to put people in the mood to purchase!
4. …and your staff. Get feedback from employees on proposed lighting plans. They are the ones who will be spending the most time using it, and research has shown that involving staff in decision-making processes can increase productivity!
5. Think about the future. Good lighting is a journey, and getting the perfect low-energy retail lighting is just the first step. Make sure you also invest in a good lighting maintenance plan that includes services like relamping. Once that first bulb goes, so does your competitive edge!
It can be confusing, this lighting malarkey. But I hope that these blogs are shedding a bit of light on what to think about and, most importantly, what to avoid. Now, you are all set to treat yourself to an early Christmas present!